Does it seem like there's an ongoing problem with the battery? Does it keep failing prematurely?
Incorrect Battery Technology Installed
A mobility scooter or powered wheelchair needs to be matched with the correct battery technology bearing in mind the user's needs. There are a variety of battery technologies to choose from with individual features and benefits.
As mentioned in the blog AGM vs Gel batteries in Mobility Scooters and Wheelchairs, Gel battery technology is generally the battery technology of choice for mobility scooters and powered wheelchairs.
One of the most common reasons batteries fail prematurely is incorrect charging.
Incorrect charging may be a result of:
- The wrong type of battery charger used, (i.e. not multi-stage),
- The wrong type of battery charger for the battery technology used,
- A faulty battery charger, or;
- Caused by the user not fully charging the battery before using the mobility scooter or powered wheelchair.
Need a hand with testing the battery charger? Click to read our blog How to test mobility scooter battery chargers
What if the battery charger tests fine?
Ensure the user is charging the battery as soon as they are home after use.
Also, ensure that the mobility scooter or powered wheelchair is displaying a full battery gauge before use.
If the answers to all of the above statements are yes, it may be worth talking to your battery specialist regarding the below options:
- Installing a heavier duty battery technology, for example, a Genuine Gel or Lithium
Click here to read our blog VRLA vs Lithium Batteries in Mobility Scooters and Wheelchairs
- In other cases, it may be worth swapping out to a more substantial mobility scooter or powered wheelchair that will better suit the user's requirements.
Are you still worried? The friendly team at Valen can assist on a more personalised level. Contact us now!
Want more information on mobility scooter batteries and chargers?
For further tips, check out the following relevant blog posts:
- Can you overcharge mobility scooter batteries?
- Can you charge mobility scooter batteries with a car charger?
You can always contact the Valen team for additional support. We'd be happy to answer any questions you may have about mobility scooter batteries or battery chargers.